How do I understand the relevance of scan results to my target?

Due to SpiderFoot’s iterative nature, a common question we receive from users is about understanding the relationship between the results presented in the user interface, and the target that was originally specified.

There are a few simple ways this can be achieved in both the open source version and HX.

Open Source
There are two ways to understand the origins of data in the open source version of SpiderFoot.

1. Look at the “Source Data Element” column in the web UI. This column tells you the data point analyzed by SpiderFoot to produce the data point you’re looking at. For example, here we can see that from the smicallef data point, a BitBucket account was found:

However, this scan was actually for binarypool.com, so it would be good to know how SpiderFoot got from that to smicallef. For this we can use the second method: the Visualize button.
  2. The Visualize button can present scan data in multiple formats. In this case we want to look at the Discovery Path:
    We’ll then be presented with the full journey SpiderFoot traveled from our target to the result:

HX
SpiderFoot HX provides multiple ways to identify the source data of your data elements and traverse the journey of discovery SpiderFoot went through.

1. Look a the “Source Data Element” column in the full data view:
  2. In case that remains unclear, you can click on the small <- and -> arrow buttons on top of the Source Data Element to navigate back and forth through the discovery process.
  3. To see the discovery path visually, you can click on the blue ‘i’ icon on top of the data element and click the Discovery Path tab:
  4. To see the discovery path visually for all the data elements currently in view, simply click the purple eye icon in the top right menu of the data set and select Discovery Path:
1 Like

After 3 years it is still so easy to be overwhelmed by the vastness of the scan results. I have had scans run for 48 hours and then scroll one row in an excel spreadsheet an excruciating task. Using certain sites before deciding on the scan target and particulars helps. I use the sites SFHX has API keys for but its an easier way to highlight the more or less significant data. I have always expressed this difficulty to SM and you just have to become more dilligent in the art of patience which i think may be a life long journey. Dont be afraid to ask -trust me i have asked SM the stupidest questions!! but now you have this platform and i assure you the man behind it all is a very kind and generous person. Enjoy